Jointly organised by King’s College London (KCL) and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), this new seminar series brings together critically-minded social scientists, public health experts and practitioners together to debate key areas of concern for global health today and reflect on how these should be approached and explored. The seminars are organised as a platform for social scientists working in the field to present and reflect on their current and planned research in discussion with the chair-discussant and the audience. More broadly, the aim of the series is to provide a forum to discuss emerging contradictions and frictions in global health research and policy as well as the challenges and opportunities these present to social scientific inquiry. Through open-ended and candid exchange on the experiences of working in the global health field, we seek to develop new avenues for critical thought in the social sciences and beyond.
Our next event on Zika: Emergency Research and After will take place with on 24 January 2017, 4-5.30 pm, in the 3.146 room in the Francis Wilkes Building at King’s College London, Stamford street, Waterloo Campus, London SE1 9NH. Professor Ilana Lowy, an affiliated Professor at King’s College London and Senior Researcher at INSERM, Paris and Dr Hannah Kuper from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine I am the co-director of the International Centre for Evidence in Disability will discuss their current work on the ongoing Zika outbreak. They will be joined by Dr Ann Kelly, from KCL, as discussant.
Programme for the Spring and Summer Terms 2017:
- War, Refugees and Health, 21 February 2017, 4-5.30 pm, LSHTM | Speaker: TBA
- Non-Communicable Diseases between Affluence and Neglect, 21 March 2017, 4-5.30 pm, KCL | Speaker: Professor Megan Vaughan (UCL) | Discussants: Drs Carlo Caduff and David Reubi (KCL)
- Consuming Animals, 25 April 2017, 4-5.30 pm, LSHTM | Speaker: Jan Deckers (Newcastle University) | Discussant: TBA
- Anti-Microbial Resistance, 16 May 2017, 4-5.30 pm, LSHTM | Speakers: Dr Nicolas Fortané (KCL) and Dr Coll Hutchison (LSHTM) | Discussant: Dr Clare Chandler (LSHTM)
- Mental Health, 20 June 2017, 4-5.30 pm, KCL | Speaker: TBA
For further information, please contact one of the organisers: Dr Clare Chandler (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr Clare Herrick (email@example.com), Dr Ann Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr Melissa Parker (email@example.com) and Dr David Reubi (firstname.lastname@example.org).