The Department of Global Health & Social Medicine at King’s College London is now accepting applications for the Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methods for Social Science and Health.
The Postgraduate Certificate is aimed at social science and health researchers, professionals and practitioners who wish to develop their understanding and practical application of quantitative and qualitative research methods. This programme is suitable for students from a range of health, policy and government sectors, including those who conduct, manage and commission research. Past students have joined us from government bodies such as the Civil Service, charitable organisations including Cancer Research & Unicef, branches of the NHS and other Higher Education providers.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methods for Social Science and Health aims to:
- Provide students with foundational training in research design, governance, quantitative and qualitative methods for research in health and public services and the social sciences.
- Develop a critical understanding of research methods for those who wish to evaluate and apply existing scholarship and commission or undertake original research.
Students take three modules that are taught on Thursdays from 19th January to 30th March 2017, which provide basic research design, quantitative and qualitative training:
- Designing Quantitative Research for Social Science & Health
- Quantitative Data Analysis
- Designing Qualitative Research for Social Science & Health
Students then choose one further module (Researching Vulnerable Populations or an advanced statistical course, Data Manipulation and Management) that is taught over one full week in mid-May (15th to 19th).
The PG Certificate is 60 credits at a Masters level, which means that these credits can be applied to select MSc degrees offered in the department should students desire to further their studies (e.g., MSc Gerontology).
Further information about the certificate can be found here (note: the PG Cert is nested within the MSc programme): http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/research-methods-for-social-science-and-health-msc-pg-dip-pg-cert.aspx
and additional information about all our taught programmes can be found here:http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/sshm/study/Postgraduate-Study/postgraduatestudy.aspx
For any questions please contact Valerie D’Astous at Valerie.d’email@example.com
Tel +44 (0) 20 7848 7061